The special 50th anniversary festival of Woodstock has been cancelled.
The event, which had announced the likes of Miley Cyrus, The Killers, The Black Keys, Halsey, Jay Z and more as major acts, will be scrapped in controversial circumstances.
“Despite our tremendous investment of time, effort and commitment, we don’t believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees,” Dentsu Aegis Network, which funded Woodstock 50, said in a statement to Billboard.
The event, which was scheduled take place from August 16-18 in Watkins Glen, New York, had been the subject of major cancellation speculation for an number of days after some payments to artists had been delayed.
It remains to be seen what the official line on current tickets holders and when the refunds will be made.
Rumours began circulating after an email was sent to ticket agents on Friday (April 19th) letting them know that ticket sales for the event were being postponed and were currently “on hold.”
It read: “There is currently a hold on the Woodstock 50 on-sale date. We are waiting on an official press statement from Woodstock 50 regarding updated [announcements], ticket pricing, and overall festival information. We will get this information to you as soon as we receive it.”
Despite the rumours, Michael Lang responded to the claims via Billboard and moved to initially dismiss the fears as simply “rumours” he did not directly address the reasoning behind the ticket postponement.
He previously said: “Woodstock is a phenomenon that for fifty years has drawn attention to its principles and also the rumours that can be attached to that attention.”