Woodstock 50 co-organiser Michael Lang is trying his best to ensure the festival runs this year despite financial backing being pulled from the festival leading many to believe it has been cancelled, with him bring in Marc E. Kasowitz, one of Donald Trump‘s lawyers in to help as a last-ditch effort to keep the event alive.
The festival was announced recently to celebrate 50 years since Woodstock’s iconic 1969 festival, but on Monday (April 29) after its primary funding partner Dentsu Aegis Network withdrew its financial commitment and announced the “cancellation’ of Woodstock 50 to Lang’s anger.
Lang, who co-founded the original Woodstock festival 50 years ago, was among those working on August’s planned festival to “vehemently” deny that it had been cancelled, however.
It’s now emerged that Lang has hired Kasowitz to represent Woodstock 50’s interests going forward. As reported by The New York Times, Kasowitz issued an industry-wide statement on Tuesday (April 30) which declared that Dentsu did not have the right to cancel the festival, and instructed “all stakeholders, including the entertainers” to stick with the event as they promised.
Lang said that Woodstock 50 is now “in talks with investors who are anxious to come in” and save the festival at the last minute.
He added: “We have a short window to put this back together. That’s obvious,” he added. “We feel it’s enough time, and there is enough interest, that we think we will accomplish it.”
With the event now going back on sale, Lang told the NYT: “I put out a letter last night to all the people who have emailed us, just to explain what is going on. The response has been great. People are being really supportive. Everybody is giving us the best of wishes, and ‘go get ’em’ kind of stuff. And we will deliver.”