Roger Waters has postponed his ‘This is Not a Drill Tour’ due to the current coronavirus pandemic.
The North American dates, which were due to begin in July, have been put on ice while strict social distancing measures are in place.
Confirming the news, Waters said: “The bad news is: I’ve had to postpone my tour until next year. Bummer, but if it saves one life, it’s worth it,” in a statement. “The good news is, a federal judge in Washington, D.C., ruled on March 25, 2020, that Trump’s Dakota Access Pipeline Executive order was ILLEGAL and demands an [Environmental Impact Statement]. This is a huge victory for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribes. Power to the People!!!”
The ongoing pandemic of coronavirus disease was first officially identified in December 2019 in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei in China. As of March 28th, more than 614,052 cases of COVID-19 have been officially confirmed but the actual number is thought to be much higher due to substantial under-reporting of cases.
With more than 28,234 people having died from the virus, COVID-19 has now spread into more than 180 other countries—including mainland Europe, South America and North America. Given the exponential growth in cases in countries like Italy, Spain and the UK, the WHO have now stated that Europe was the current centre of the pandemic.
“As the clock ticks faster and faster and faster down to extinction, it seemed like a good thing to make a fuss about it, so that’s why I’m going on the road,” Waters previously said of his tour. “To be blunt, we need to change the way we organize ourselves as a human race or die. This tour will be part of a global movement by people who are concerned by others to affect the change that is necessary. That’s why we’re going on the road. That’s why we speak to each other in pubs. That’s why this conversation should be on everybody’s lips, constantly, the whole time, because it’s super important. So I hope you’ll all come to the shows. This is not a drill.”