Phoebe Bridgers has put her unique spin on Tom Waits song ‘Georgia Lee’ as part of a new tribute album.
The record, titled Come On Up to the House: Women Sing Waits, is a 12 track album comprised of covers recorded by an all-female cast of musicians and is released today.
With an all-star assembly of artists such as Rosanne Cash, Phoebe Bridgers, Patty Griffin, Aimee Mann, Corinne Bailey Rae and more, Dualtone Music Group has released the album just weeks before Waits’ 70th birthday.
The record has been produced by artist, author, and composer Warren Zanes who also wrote the LP’s liner notes in the style of a personal essay. “Tom is a true original as a songwriter, singer and arranger. There’s just no one like him,” she details in the press release.
“Beneath some of the layers of sound and his truly unique vocal phrasing, are some of the most beautiful and heartfelt songs I’ve ever heard After some great creative discussions many years back with an old publishing colleague, the concept of focusing on the sheer beauty of these songs by having them interpreted by a group of amazing artists with stunning voices, was a must-do project.”
She added: “Fast forward fifteen years later, we were thrilled with the passion and enthusiasm these artists showed when we approached them with the idea, which you can hear in their performances. Truly a musical celebration.”
Below, see the tracklist and Bridgers’ take on a Waits classic.
Tracklisting for Come On Up to the House: Women Sing Waits:
- ‘Come On Up to the House’ by Joseph
- ‘Hold On’ by Aimee Mann
- ‘Georgia Lee’ by Phoebe Bridgers
- ‘Ol’ 55’ by Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer
- ‘Take It With Me’ by Angie McMahon
- ‘Jersey Girl’ by Corinne Bailey Rae
- ‘Ruby’s Arms’ by Patty Griffin
- ‘Time’ by Rosanne Cash
- ‘You Can Never Hold Back Spring’ by Kat Edmonson
- ‘House Where Nobody Lives’ by Iris Dement
- ‘Downtown Train’ by Courtney Marie Andrews
- ‘Tom Traubert’s Blues’ by The Wild Reeds