The seventh annual Mallorca International Film Festival, known as the Evolution Festival, will take place the 25-31 of October, offering a diverse and interesting selection of films and events. The fast-growing event now includes over 100 films from 23 countries, including features, documentaries, shorts, and children’s films. Evolution holds a competition for best film in each category, and for best submitted original screenplay; and offers two acting workshops and a seminar on film marketing. The festival hosted over 4000 attendees last year, drawn by the event as well as the beautiful location.
A centrepiece of this year’s festival is the presentation of the ICON Award to actress Melissa Leo, for “her trailblazing achievement as an actress and her unshakable independent spirit in today’s international film industry.“ The award gala will include a screening of David O Russell’s The Fighter, the 2010 drama which earned Leo an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. An additional special screening of Pedro Almodovar’s The Flower of my Secret will conclude with the presentation of an honorary award to the film’s star, Marisa Paredes.
Some of the noteworthy presentations at this year’s Evolution Festival include:
- Documentary Out Of Plastic, a look at the profound effect of plastics on the natural environment.
- George Michael – Freedom, covers the career of pop star George Michael.
- French survival epic, Arctic, the first feature by writer/director Joe Penna.
- Writer/director Sara Forestier’s offbeat French love story, M.
- Philip Eichholtz’s soul-searching German drama, Away You Go.