(Credit: HBO)

Dylan Farrow discusses previously unseen footage of her, aged 7, communicating alleged Woody Allen abuse

In the latest episode of HBO’s four-part documentary Allen v. Farrow, a previously unseen home video featuring a seven-year-old Dylan Farrow is shown as the child discloses acts of abuse allegedly inflicted by her adopted father Woody Allen.

The new show, which has been directed by Amy Ziering and Kirby Dick, included the home video footage that was recorded by her mother Mia Farrow and timestamped Aug. 5, 1992. “We went into your room and we went into the attic,” the child says while distracting herself by cutting paper with a pair of scissors. “Then he started telling me weird things. Then secretly he went into the attic,” she adds, before stating that Allen “went behind me and touched my privates.”

The video in question has never before been released to the public. However, the footage was used as part of a legal custody battle between Mia Farrow and Woody Allen in 1993. It is the latest development in what is already an extremely traumatic case.

Reacting to the news that the video had been shown in the latest HBO series, Dylan Farrow has taken to social media to release a statement. “I’m writing this, because to be totally honest I have been losing sleep and overcome with anxiety,” she said. “Tonight’s episode of the Allen v. Farrow docuseries features a video of me as a seven-year-old child disclosing my abuse to my mother.

Farrow continued: “My mother gave me this video when I became an adult to do whatever I wanted with it.

“It shows me as I was then, a young, vulnerable child. ‘Little Dylan,’ whom I’ve tried ever since to protect. Deciding to allow this tape to be viewed now publicly in this way has not been easy. I myself had resisted ever watching it until now. It had been long stored away in a closet. Scared. Buried.

“I almost didn’t offer it to the filmmakers, because being this vulnerable in public is absolutely terrifying for me. My fear in letting this tape come to light is that I am putting Little Dylan in the court of public opinion. While I have been able to take the stones thrown at me as an adult, to think of that happening to this little girl is stomach-churning. But I decided to let them share it in hopes that Little Dylan’s voice might now help others suffering in silence feel heard, understood, and less alone. And that my testimony might also help parents, relatives, friends, loved ones and the world in general understand first-hand how an abused child might speak and interpret these horrific events.”

Read the statement in its entirety, below.