Subscribe to our newsletter

(Credit: Daisy Coleman Instagram)


Daisy Coleman of ‘Audrie and Daisy’ has died by suicide aged 23


Daisy Coleman, the sexual assault survivor, has died by suicide at the age of 23.

Coleman, who was an advocate for assault survivors, appeared in the popular 2016 Netflix documentary Audrie & Daisy, a film which documented the traumatic rape of three teenage American girls.

Coleman’s mother has confirmed in a post on social media that she has passed away. “She was my best friend and amazing daughter,” Melinda Coleman wrote on Facebook.

“I think she had to make it seem like I could live without her. I can’t,” she added.

I wish I could have taken the pain from her! She never recovered from what those boys did to her and it’s just not fair. My baby girl is gone.”

Ms Coleman, who was involved in the formation of co-the SafeBae (Before Anyone Else) nonprofit organisation to help prevent sexual assault in schools, is said to have died from suicide. the charitable institution said the are “shattered and shocked by her passing”.

Adding: “She had many coping demons and had been facing and overcoming them all, but as many of you know, healing is not a straight path or any easy one. She fought longer and harder than we will ever know.”

Coleman spoke publicly about the disturbing abuse she suffered at the age of 14. In what turned out to be a high profile case, Coleman alleged she was raped at a party in 2012 while another boy recorded the incident on his phone.

After enduring the abuse, Coleman was left outside in freezing temperatures for hours wearing nothing but a T-shirt. After police were called following the attack, the 19-year-old Matthew Barnett was arrested and charged with felony sexual assault. The attacker, the grandson of a former Republican state politician, later saw the case dropped before it was reduced to the lesser charge of ‘endangerment of a minor’.

Despite the growing evidence, and the statement issued by Ms Coleman, Barnett received a sentence of just four months in jail and was forced to pay $1,800 to Coleman in compensation.

The details of this case were explored by the Netflix film directed by Bonni Cohen and Jon Shenk.