Courtney Barnett has a fantastic knack for crafting a classic cover, and now she has applied that trait for a stripped-down take of the Velvet Underground and Nico anthem ‘I’ll Be Your Mirror’.
Barnett’s cover is one of many expected by artists in the coming weeks in honour of the pioneering indie icons as part of a compilation the New York bands first label, Verve Records, are releasing.
Her acoustic tones and classically intimate almost crooner-like vocal styling lends the song a potency akin to the original while also bringing something very fresh.
Courtney Barnett is also gearing for her third studio album, Rae Street, which is set for release on November 12th.
The exciting-sounding Verve Records compilation features the likes of Iggy Pop, Michael Stipe, Kurt Vile, Courtney Barnett, St. Vincent, Fontaines D.C., Thurston Moore, Bobby Gillespie, Sharon Van Etten and Angel Olsen.
The album will include new versions of all eleven tracks from The Velvet Underground and Nico, the Andy Warhol-produced album that is one of the most highly influential collection of songs ever made. It is due out on September 24th.
The Velvet Underground & Nico covers album tracklisting:
1. Michael Stipe – ‘Sunday Morning’
2. Matt Berninger – ‘I’m Waiting For the Man’
3. Sharon Van Etten & Angel Olsen – ‘Femme Fatale’
4. Andrew Bird & Lucius – ‘Venus In Furs’
5. Kurt Vile & The Violators – ‘Run Run Run’
6. St. Vincent & Thomas Barlett – ‘All Tomorrow’s Parties’
7. Thurston Moore & Bobby Gillespie – ‘Heroin’
8. King Princess – ‘There She Goes Again’
9. Courtney Barnett – ‘I’ll Be Your Mirror’
10. Fontaines D.C. – ‘The Black Angel’s Death Song’
11. Iggy Pop & Matt Sweeney – ‘European Son’