Ben Gibbard from Death Cab For Cutie has been keeping himself occupied while he has been in self-isolation and, in his most recent ‘Live From Home’ session, took fans back to the early days of his band.
With the global coronavirus pandemic putting normality on a halt, Gibbard has been doing his best to bring people together and create a sense of community by streaming a series of live performances from his home studio.
The ongoing pandemic of coronavirus disease was first officially identified in December 2019 in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei in China. As of March 24th, more than 382,972 cases of COVID-19 have been officially confirmed but the actual number is thought to be much higher due to substantial under-reporting of cases.
With more than 16,585 people having died from the virus, COVID-19 has now spread into more than 180 other countries—including mainland Europe, South America and North America. Given the exponential growth in cases in countries like Italy and Spain, the WHO have now stated that Europe was the current centre of the pandemic.
The series of home concerts has seen Gibbard take on classics from the likes of Radiohead, John Lennon and Bob Dylan but, during last night’s stream, the vocalist took it back to the beginning by performing acoustic versions of early Death Cab For Cutie songs.
The latest ‘Live At Home’ session saw the Death Cab man perform stripped back versions of fan favourites such as ‘I Was A Kaleidoscope’, ‘Line Of Best Fit’ and ‘Champagne In A Paper Cup’ as well as ‘Cleveland’ which appeared on his solo-side project ¡All-Time Quarterback!’s 2002 album.
Check out the stream and the full setlist, below.
Ben Gibbard’s Home Session Setlist:
- ‘Champagne from a Paper Cup’ (Death Cab for Cutie song)
- ‘Debate Exposes Doubt’ (Death Cab for Cutie song)
- ‘Scientist Studies’ (Death Cab for Cutie song)
- ‘Wait’ (The Secret Stars cover)
- ‘Company Calls Epilogue’ (Death Cab for Cutie song)
- ‘Cleveland’ (¡All-Time Quarterback! cover)
- ‘(This Is) The Dream of Evan and Chan’ (Dntel cover)
- ‘Blacking Out the Friction’ (Death Cab for Cutie song)
- ‘Line of Best Fit’ (Death Cab for Cutie song)
- ‘I Was a Kaleidoscope’ (Death Cab for Cutie song)
- ‘No Joy in Mudville’ (Death Cab for Cutie song)
- ‘The Face That Launched 1000 Shits’ (The Revolutionary Hydra cover)