Tom Petty’s family confirm cause of his death

Tom Petty died from an accidental drug overdose, his family have confirmed after receiving the results of his autopsy.

The iconic artist was found unconscious and not breathing after suffering from a full cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu back in October 2017Petty was put on life support at UCLA Santa Monica Hospital before the musician was pulled off life support as there were no signs of brain activity. He was 66.

His family have now confirmed that his death was caused by an accidental drug overdose after being prescribed medication for emphysema, a fractured hip and knee problems: “as a result of taking a variety of medications,” the statement confirmed. 

“On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full-on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication,” the statement reveals. “We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.

As a family we recognise this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Delivering curated content