Philip Selway, the drummer of Radiohead, has been discussing the “frustrating” investigation into the stage collapse that killed the band’s drum technician Scott Johnson in 2012.
Johnson, the 33-year-old drum expert from Doncaster, was killed by a collapsed stage in Toronto’s Downsview Park hours before the band were due to play. What ensued was a long and convoluted investigation into the reason for the tragic incident.
Selway, appearing on BBC Newsnight to talk about the incident, said: “It’s very frustrating. The court case broke down on a technicality.”
The court case has been put against Live Nation and other parties allegedly responsible for the incident but that somewhat came to a standstill in September last year when a judge ruled that the case had taken to long to go to court: “So there have been no real answers,” Selway continued.
“Without the answers, we can’t ensure that an accident like this can’t happen again.”
"There have been no real answers… Without the answers we can't ensure that an accident like this can't happen again." Radiohead drummer Philip Selway says it's "frustrating" that the court case regarding the death of their drum technician broke down #newsnight pic.twitter.com/jTnoFDJCql
— BBC Newsnight (@BBCNewsnight) July 18, 2018
Ontario’s Ministry of Labour brought charges against Live Nation, scaffolding company Optex Staging and Services, and engineer Domenic Cugliari under the province’s Occupational Health and Safety Act.
At the time of the incident, the band said on their website: “We have all been shattered by the loss of Scott Johnson, our friend and colleague.
“He was a lovely man, always positive, supportive and funny, a highly skilled and valued member of our great road crew.
“We will miss him very much. Our thoughts and love are with Scott’s family and all those close to him.”