The National’s frontman Matt Berninger continues his successful solo foray with a brand-new cover of the Velvet Underground classic ‘Waiting for the Man’.
Berninger’s cover is one of many expected by artists in the coming weeks in honour of the pioneering indie icons as part of a compilation the New York bands first label, Verve Records, are releasing.
Back in November 2020, Berninger first shared his rendition on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon but following a few tweaks and a studio polish he was now ready to unleash the finished product on the world.
While the almost-caustic energy of the original is sequestered for a more measured approach, which to quite a large degree completely changes the mandate of the original, you can’t really trade punches with the proto-punks in that regard and Berninger’s effort is a solid addition to the oeuvre.
The exciting-sounding Verve Records compilation features the likes of Iggy Pop, Michael Stipe, Kurt Vile, Courtney Barnett, St. Vincent, Fontaines D.C., Thurston Moore, Bobby Gillespie, Sharon Van Etten and Angel Olsen.
The album will include new versions of all eleven tracks from The Velvet Underground and Nico, the Andy Warhol-produced album that is one of the most highly influential collection of songs ever made. It is due out on September 24th.
The Velvet Underground & Nico covers album tracklisting:
1. Michael Stipe – ‘Sunday Morning’
2. Matt Berninger – ‘I’m Waiting For the Man’
3. Sharon Van Etten & Angel Olsen – ‘Femme Fatale’
4. Andrew Bird & Lucius – ‘Venus In Furs’
5. Kurt Vile & The Violators – ‘Run Run Run’
6. St. Vincent & Thomas Barlett – ‘All Tomorrow’s Parties’
7. Thurston Moore & Bobby Gillespie – ‘Heroin’
8. King Princess – ‘There She Goes Again’
9. Courtney Barnett – ‘I’ll Be Your Mirror’
10. Fontaines D.C. – ‘The Black Angel’s Death Song’
11. Iggy Pop & Matt Sweeney – ‘European Son’