Los Angeles indie act La Luz have returned with their latest single ‘In the Country’.
With a country and western kind of twang between the guitar lines and copious amounts of reverb, ‘In the Country’ sounds like an old Wild West cowboy tale with a strange sci-fi twist every time the sliding guitar lines that sound like laser beams bubble up in the arrangement.
“I moved to the country a few years ago after living in cities for most of my life,” lead singer Shana Cleveland explains. “Being out in the middle of nowhere makes it easy to imagine how it would be possible to leave society all together. I love how in this track some of the most unnatural elements of the arrangement (synthesizers, fuzz, effects) create an atmosphere around the instruments that ends up feeling very natural – I can hear bugs buzzing around and bird sounds in different directions.”
The arrangement does conjure up specific kinds of images in your head. For me, it’s a dusty dessert with saloons and horse stables backdropping an old timey shootout. It’s like Canned Heat’s ‘Going Up the Country’ got thrown in a sci-fi time loop that somehow sent it both forwards and backwards in time.
In addition to sharing ‘In the Country’, the band have also announced a European tour for 2022. The jaunt will see the trio trek around clubs in the U.K., France, Scandinavia, and Spain throughout the spring months of next year.
Check out the audio for ‘In the Country’, plus the band’s 2022 European tour dates, down below.
La Luz 2022 European tour dates:
- Apr. 22 – Leeds, UK – Brudenell Social Club
- Apr. 23 – Dublin, IE – The Grand Social
- Apr. 25 – Glasgow, UK – Stereo
- Apr. 26 – Manchester, UK – Band On The Wall
- Apr. 27 – Nottingham, UK – The Bodega
- Apr. 28 – London, UK – Scala
- Apr. 29 – Bristol, UK – Thekla
- Apr. 30 – Brighton, UK – CHALK
- May 02 – Paris, FR – La Boule Noire
- May 03 – Brussels, BE – Grand Salon (le Nuits Botanique)
- May 04 – Amsterdam, NL – Paradiso Upstairs
- May 06 – Göteborg, SE – Oceanen
- May 07 – Stockholm, SE – Hus 7
- May 08 – Oslo, NO – Krosset
- May 09 – Copenhagen, DK – Hotel Cecil
- May 11 – Hamburg, DE – Molotow
- May 12 – Berlin, DE – Frannz Club
- May 13 – Schorndorf, DE – Club Manufaktur
- May 14 – Munich, DE – Feierwerk
- May 16 – Luxembourg, LU – Rotondes
- May 17 – Vevey, CH – Rocking Chair
- May 19 – Barcelona, ES – Upload
- May 20 – Madrid, ES – Tomavistas Festival
- May 21 – San Sebastian, ES – Dabadab