American rock band La Luz have shared the latest taste of their upcoming self-titled album with the blissed-out new single ‘Watching Cartoons’.
Loopy and grounded by some killer four-string work from bassist Lena Simon, ‘Watching Cartoons’ is the sonic representation of shutting yourself in your room, getting high, and tuning out the rest of the world with some bright colour and flashing images. The song floats along with an unhurried but steady drive, like a controlled musical free fall down a woozy rabbit hole of vintage keyboard sounds and airy harmonies.
Once the sitar solo kicked in, I was completely sold. The band’s dedication to spaced out ennui is on captivating display, making ‘Watching Cartoons’ one of those tracks that you can play endlessly on repeat while finding something new each time and never getting sick of it.
La Luz will be the fourth album from the indie band, also consisting of singer-songwriter Shana Cleveland and keyboardist Alice Sandahl. Stretching all the way back to the desert scorched surf rock of 2013’s It’s Alive, the band have been quickly evolving and quietly staking their claim as one of the best kept secrets of indie rock. Active for almost a decade, it’s time to bring some major recognition to La Luz, and hopefully the band’s newest album will get them there.
Check out the video for ‘Watching Cartoons’, plus the band’s upcoming UK and European tour dates, down below. La Luz will be released on October 22.
La Luz 2022 European tour dates:
- Apr. 22 – Leeds, UK – Brudenell Social Club
- Apr. 23 – Dublin, IE – The Grand Social
- Apr. 25 – Glasgow, UK – Stereo
- Apr. 26 – Manchester, UK – Band On The Wall
- Apr. 27 – Nottingham, UK – The Bodega
- Apr. 28 – London, UK – Scala
- Apr. 29 – Bristol, UK – Thekla
- Apr. 30 – Brighton, UK – CHALK
- May 02 – Paris, FR – La Boule Noire
- May 03 – Brussels, BE – Grand Salon (le Nuits Botanique)
- May 04 – Amsterdam, NL – Paradiso Upstairs
- May 06 – Göteborg, SE – Oceanen
- May 07 – Stockholm, SE – Hus 7
- May 08 – Oslo, NO – Krosset
- May 09 – Copenhagen, DK – Hotel Cecil
- May 11 – Hamburg, DE – Molotow
- May 12 – Berlin, DE – Frannz Club
- May 13 – Schorndorf, DE – Club Manufaktur
- May 14 – Munich, DE – Feierwerk
- May 16 – Luxembourg, LU – Rotonde
- May 17 – Vevey, CH – Rocking Chair
- May 19 – Barcelona, ES – Upload
- May 20 – Madrid, ES – Tomavistas Festival
- May 21 – San Sebastian, ES – Dabadaba