John Prine in critical condition after being hospitalised for coronavirus
(Credit: Eric Frommer)

Fiona Prine offers update on John Prine’s condition after coronavirus complications

Fiona Prine, the wife of Grammy Award-winning country musician John Prine, has confirmed that her husband is in a “stable” condition after he contracted coronavirus.

Confirmation was made that the 73-year-old singer-songwriter had been hospitalised on Thursday and, after his situation continued to deteriorate, he was intubated on Saturday. The news came just days after Prine’s wife, Fiona Whelan Prine, said that she had coronavirus and that the couple were self-quarantining separately.

“After a sudden onset of Covid-19 symptoms,” a statement reads from Prine’s social media. “John was hospitalised on Thursday (March 26). He was intubated Saturday evening, and continues to receive care, but his situation is critical.”

Now, as Fiona Prine confirmed news that she herself had recovered from coronavirus, she added that John was both “stable” but his current situation is not improving: “I need to clarify what I mean by “John is stable,” she said. “That is not the same as improving. There is no cure for Covid-19. He needs our prayers and love – as do the thousands of others who are critically ill. Stay at home. Wash your hands. We love you.”

She added: “I have recovered from Covid-19. We are humbled by the outpouring of love for me and John and our precious family. He is stabile. Please continue to send your amazing Love and prayers. Sing his songs. Stay home and wash hands. John loves you. I love you.”

The ongoing pandemic of coronavirus disease was first officially identified in December 2019 in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei in China. As of March 31st, more than 788,009 cases of COVID-19 have been officially confirmed but the actual number is thought to be much higher due to substantial under-reporting of cases.

With more than 37,856 people having died from the virus, COVID-19 has now spread into more than 180 other countries—including mainland Europe, South America and many more. Given the exponential growth in cases in countries like Italy, Spain, Germany, France and the UK, the WHO stated that Europe became the epicentre of the pandemic after the strict lockdown in China saw reduced numbers. Now, however, as the virus continues to spread aggressively across The United States—who have more confirmed cases than any other country—the epicentre of coronavirus is expected to be officially changed to North America.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Delivering curated content