Emily Eavis has reassured people that Glastonbury will not go bankrupt and has said that the event will survive after the recent announcement that the festival had been cancelled for the second year on the trot due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Last Thursday, the announcement arrived via their social media platforms as Michael and Emily Eavis, the festival’s long time organisers, confirmed that the 2021 festival would not occur. While many similar events have opted to postpone or re-schedule their dates, Glastonbury has cancelled, but, their future seems to remain secure.
Now, speaking in a new interview, Eavis denied reports that they had to cancel the festival due to insurance issues. She told The Guardian: “Everything from restrictions on public transport capacities to availability of the medical staff we need to work at the event, to the simple fact that mass gatherings are currently still legally prohibited and it’s not at all clear when that will be reversed.”
Eavis then stated that there were no worries about Glastonbury entering bankruptcy. “We would have been in trouble if we’d hedged our bets and pushed on regardless to March and then had to cancel,” she said. “We’d have spent a lot of money by then, money which we wouldn’t get back.”
Due to the cancellation in 2020, the festival lost £5million. The Eavis’ cancelled in March, and much of the event’s planning had already begun. In the wake of the cancellation, ministers urged the government to “act now to save festivals”.
“The news that the UK has lost the Glastonbury Festival for a second year running is devastating,” warned DCMS Committee Chair Julian Knight MP. “We have repeatedly called for Ministers to act to protect our world-renowned festivals like this one with a Government-backed insurance scheme. Our plea fell on deaf ears and now the chickens have come home to roost.
“The jewel in the crown will be absent but surely the Government cannot ignore the message any longer – it must act now to save this vibrant and vital festivals sector.”