BBC Radio 6 Music Festival festival has announce Depeche Mode as their headline act as the event heads to Glasgow in March.
Taking place between Friday 24th and Sunday 26th, Depeche Mode will take to stage on the final night for their first live UK show since 2013, and they’ll be performing tracks from their new album Spirit along with classic hits.
The last time that Dave, Martin and Andy performed at the 2,000 capacity Barrowland Ballroom was over three decades ago, in 1984 for their Some Great Reward tour.
Broadcasting her BBC Radio 6 Music show live from Glasgow School of Art today, Lauren Laverne revealed the full festival line-up – one which encapsulates the alternative spirit of the network – across the weekend:
Goldfrapp / The Jesus and Mary Chain / Belle & Sebastian/
Anna Meredith / Bonobo/ Ride / Cate Le Bon / The Shins / Future Islands / Sparks / Sleaford Mods / Songhoy Blues / Car Seat Headrest / Warpaint / Loyle Carner / Grandaddy / The Lemon Twigs / Honeyblood / DUDS / Dutch Uncles / Forest Swords / Gaika / Girl Ray / Haley Bonar / Julia Jacklin / Kadhja Bonet / Sacred Paws / Thundercat / Whitney/
DJ set from James Lavelle (UNKLE) on Sunday night at Barrowlands ahead of Depeche Mode.
The 6 Music Festival takes place at venues across the city – O2 Academy, Barrowland Ballroom and St Luke’s.
Lauren Laverne said, “The 6 Music Festival is going further north than ever before! I love Glasgow and have so many great memories of the city, and the 6 Music Festival is sure to create some more. The music is going to be awesome!”
Friday 24 March
- O2 Academy Glasgow: Goldfrapp, Sparks, Future Islands
- Barrowland: The Jesus and Mary Chain, Ride, Warpaint, Sleaford Mods
- St Luke’s: Cate Le Bon, Dutch Uncles, Girl Ray, DUDS
Saturday 25 March
- O2 Academy Glasgow: The Shins, Grandaddy, Honeyblood,
- Barrowland: Bonobo, Songhoy Blues, Thundercat, Loyle Carner
- St Luke’s: Car Seat Headrest, Lemon Twigs, Haley Bonar, Sacred Paws
- SWG3: Simian Mobile Disco, Nightwave, Optimo, Nan Kolè, Dusky, Éclair Fifi, Lindstrøm, Jungle, MWX, K4CIE, Femme Fresh, Jungle Hussy, Andy Butler (Hercules & Love Affair) and Happy Meals
Sunday 26 March
- O2 Academy Glasgow: Belle & Sebastian, Whitney, Julia Jacklin
- Barrowland: Depeche Mode, James Lavelle (UNKLE) DJ set
- St Lukes: Anna Meredith, Gaika, Forest Swords, Kadhja Bonet
Paul Rodgers, Head of Programmes for 6 Music, says: “It’s exciting to be able to take the 6 Music Festival to Glasgow this March, and we can’t wait to explore some of the City’s famous venues and dig into its fantastic music scene and heritage.
“The Festival’s line up is full of the kind of interesting artists you’d expect from 6 Music such as Goldfrapp, Sleaford Mods and Depeche Mode, but with an emphasis on some of the Scottish artists that our listeners love, with Edwyn Collins, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Belle & Sebastian, Sacred Paws, King Creosote, Honeyblood and Optimo all performing.”
“It’s going to be a brilliant weekend of music for the city and those at home who can tune in via DAB, at bbc.co.uk/6music and via BBC Red Button.”