Criminal charges against ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett dropped
American actor and singer Jussie Smollett, who had been accused of staging a fake hate crime against himself, has seen prosecutors drop all charges against him.
Smollett, who was indicted on February 20 for disorderly conduct, was accused of paying two American-Nigerian brothers to stage a fake hate crime assault on him which resulted in him Smollet filing an alleged false police report.
Chicago police claimed that Smollett put together the stunt because he was unhappy with his pay on television series Empire. Coming under heavy criticism, it was reported that Smollett’s alleged crime carried a maximum sentence of three years in prison.
Now however, in a bizarre turn of events, prosecutors in Cook County, Illinois, have dropped all charges against Jussie Smollett.
“We believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” a prosecutor told The Chicago Tribune.
In a statement issued by Sollett’s attorneys, they said: “Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him. Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.
“Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions,” the statement continued. “This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion. That is wrong. It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result.”