The 2022 Cannes Film Festival has come to an end with the eclectic range of this year’s films providing a thrilling competition that included satirical drama, brutal body horror and complex romance.
Though it looked as though Park Chan-wook’s detective romance Decision to Leave looked like it was going to swoop the Palme d’Or, the festival’s highest honour, Ruben Östlund’s divisive modern satire jumped in at the last moment to claim the prize. Winning the award for the second time in five years, Östlund’s smartly comedic sensibilities are proving a constant favourite for the festival.
Elsewhere, whilst the likes of Hirokazu Koreeda and Kelly Reichardt produced somewhat underwhelming movies, the underdog Close by Lukas Dhont managed to get its hands on the Grand Prix, even if this meant sharing the award with the director of Stars at Noon, Claire Denis.
Away from the filmmakers themselves, in the acting category, Zar Amir Ebrahimi took home the award for Best Actress for her performance in the Ali Abbasi movie Holy Spider, where she plays a journalist who investigates the serial killings of sex workers in the underbelly of Mashhad, Iran. Meanwhile, Song Kang Ho won the award for Best Actor for his work in the Koreeda family drama, Broker.
Take a look at the full list of winners for the 2022 Cannes Film Festival, below.
Full list of Cannes 2022 Winners:
- Triangle of Sadness – Ruben Östlund
- Close – Lukas Dhont & Stars at Noon – Claire Denis
Special Prize for Cannes’ 75th anniversary:
- Tori and Lokita – Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardennes
- Eo – Jerzy Skolimowski & Le Otto Montagne – Felix Van Groeningen, Charlotte Vandermeersch
- Holy Spider – Zar Amir Ebrahimi
- Broker – Song Kang Ho
- Decision to Leave – Park Chan-wook
- Boy from Heaven – Tarik Saleh
- War Pony – Gina Gammell and Riley Keough
Short Film Palme d’Or:
- The Water Murmurs – Story Chen