Former President of the United States, Barack Obama, has created a list of his favourite films and TV shows if 2019.
12 months after Obama presidency ended he announced ‘Higher Ground Productions’, the production company formed alongside his wife Michelle Obama’ and in partnership with Netflix.
Upon the company unveiling, Michelle said: “I have always believed in the power of storytelling to inspire us, to make us think differently about the world around us, and to help us open our minds and hearts to others,” as she outlined plans to produce docu-series, documentaries and features for the streaming platform.
“One of the simple joys of our time in public service was getting to meet so many fascinating people and helping them share their experiences with a wider audience,” Barack added. “That’s why Michelle and I are so excited to partner with Netflix – we hope to cultivate and curate the talented, inspiring, creative voices who are able to promote greater empathy and understanding between peoples, and help them share their stories.”
Having been busy working away on the project, the Obama’s enjoyed their first major taste of success in the entertainment world when American Factory, a documentary film directed by Julia Reichert and Steven Bognar, was nominated for an Academy Award. It will come as little surprise, then, that Barack fronted his ‘Best of 2019’ list with a celebration of his companies efforts.
“As we wind down 2019, I wanted to share with you my annual list of favourites that made the last year a little brighter,” President Obama said in a post on social media. “Of course, there’s also American Factory, a film from our own production company, Higher Ground, that was recently shortlisted for an Oscar.”
Barack Obama’s favourite films of 2019:
- American Factory – Julia Reichert, Steven Bognar.
- Amazing Grace – Sydney Pollack, Alan Elliott.
- Apollo 11 – Todd Douglas Miller.
- Ash Is Purest White – Jia Zhangke.
- Atlantics – Mati Diop.
- Birds of Passage – Cristina Gallego, Ciro Guerra.
- Booksmart – Olivia Wilde.
- Diane – Kent Jones.
- The Farewell – Lulu Wang.
- Ford v Ferrari – James Mangold.
- The Irishman – Martin Scorsese.
- Just Mercy – Destin Daniel Cretton.
- The Last Black Man in San Francisco – Joe Talbot.
- Little Women – Greta Gerwig.
- Marriage Story – Noah Baumbach.
- Parasite – Bong Joon-ho.
- The Souvenir – Joanna Hogg.
- Transit – Christian Petzold.