A major fire has broken out at Coachella Festival 2019 as worrying footage begins to surface online.
Some attendees at the festival claim to have heard an explosion as the fire is thought to have started in a shower block of the camping area. “I was waiting in line trying to shower at Coachella and it exploded and caught fire,” one attendee said.
The festival sent out a warning to music fans, asking them to “stay away” from the area. An image of the alert read: “ATTENTION: We have a fire in lot 4B at the showers. STAY AWAY FROM THIS AREA”.
The California Fire Riverside, who attended the blaze, took to Twitter to confirm the news and announce that no injuries occurred. “Fire contained. Mobile Shower Unit in Lot 8 Storage Area,” the said. “Total two trailers involved. One damaged, one destroyed. No reported injuries to fire personnel or civilians. Fire crew will remain on scene for one hour for overhall. #Coachella.”
The fire is thought to have begun after Friday evening’s headline acts of Childish Gambino, Janelle Monáe and The 1975.
“Laying in my bed I heard a loud bang,” a British festival told The Mirror. “I thought it was a firework until I heard another one and realised it was an explosion.
“I jumped up and told everyone [with me] to stay in the tent till I knew everything was OK. I feared something worse and was very relieved to find it was a gas explosion and nothing sinister.”
The event has been dealt with safely now and attendees will be looking forward to the likes of Tame Impala, Kid Cudi, Wiz Khalifa, Billie Eilish, Weezer and more.